About ITS Maryland
ITS Maryland is a State Chapter of ITS America, the organization of public agencies, private companies and academic institutions. Together with the U.S. Department of Transportation, they are supporting and promoting the coordinated development and deployment of technologies that will make our transportation systems safer, more effective, and more efficient while providing improved service to the customers and users of the systems.
Here is a listing of ITS Maryland members:
Maryland is not new to Intelligent Transportation Systems. Organizations in Maryland have been applying advanced technologies to solve our transportation problems, as well as to provide improved transportation services. Highlights of projects and devices operating in Maryland include:
- 6 Transportation Management/Operation Centers
- Over 30 Variable Message Signs
- Over 900 Systemized Traffic Signals
- Over 220 Closed Circuit Television Cameras
- Over 30 Highway Advisory Radio
- Location of Vehicles with Cellular Signals
- "Leaky-Cable" Highway Advisory Radio
- Automated Vehicle Location (AVL) for Bus Service
- Traffic Signal Pre-emption for Bus Service
- Priority Control for Buses in Montgomery County
- Traffic Information to Cable Television
- Full Motion Video from Aircraft
Now, as participants in ITS Maryland, these organizations have a forum through which they can share these experiences and learn from one another.
To support and promote the deployment of safe, efficient, integrated, and inter-modal intelligent transportation systems in Maryland. This will be accomplished by providing a forum for coordination, communication, education, training, and outreach among all interested organizations in the State..
Outreach and Awareness:
- Become the largest ITS America State Chapter
- Attract membership from local transportation agencies in Maryland
- Attract membership from all transportation modes in Maryland
Provide access for Maryland's public, private and academic organizations involved in all modes of urban and rural transportation to the resources of ITS America and ITS Maryland.
Training and Education:
- Inform public policy makers about the benefits and costs of ITS investments and deployment
- Lead efforts to educate the public about the benefits of and justification for the broad scale deployment of ITS throughout the state of Maryland
- Identify policies, regulations or other institutional barriers to providing a statewide ITS
- Co-sponsor/support seminars, workshops, short courses on ITS technology for members and others
- Support the development of ITS student chapters at Maryland universities and colleges offering curriculum in IntelligentTransportation System related fields
Facilitate ITS coordination via technology transfer among government agencies, private sector, and academia.
Promote development of innovative public/private and interagency relationships to create unique opportunities for development and deployment of ITS within the State of Maryland and the region.
Deployment and Implementation:
- Promote consciousness and involvement of Maryland's technology and service industries in the development and implementation of new technologies and services as they relate to ITS
- Foster the development of a dynamic and expanding Maryland base of the ITS industry
- Promote the consciousness of Maryland's public sector in the use of new technologies and services to solve local and regional transportation challenges
- Serve as a forum for inter jurisdictional cooperation in ITS planning, development, and deployment within Maryland and the region
- Encourage interoperability among ITS activities implemented in Maryland and the region
- Promote local and state legislation designed to facilitate ITS implementation within Maryland
- Encourage state, regional, and local agencies to develop and deploy ITS that can be effectively operated and maintained within their respective life cycles and resources